Archive for September, 2010

Things I’ve Meant to Post About

September 12th, 2010 No comments

So there are a bunch of different things that I’ve intended to blog about for some time now, but never got around to them. As a result, most of it is either old news, or just not as important to me. Fortunately for me, but likely unfortunately for everyone else, is the fact that I sent each of these to myself so that I wouldn’t forget them (and then promptly forgot to post about them).

The first of importance is a guide that LifeHacker posted a while back about how to use GoogleCL (Google Command Line). Many of us use Google’s services these days. Google took that a step further and released their GoogleCL product for 2 reasons:

  1. To allow those computer nerds out there to geek out about being able to use Gmail and the like in their command line.
  2. To allow users to do some things with Google products that aren’t traditionally allowed through the front end like backing up your contacts from Gmail.

The second one is definitely the most important, because now you can use the command line to make it auto-backup your contacts! There are other handy things that you can do with GoogleCL, but allowing for auto-backups I think is the most important. You can already export your contacts as a CSV (they added this feature, I believe, around when they separated out the Mail and Contacts functionality in Gmail), but you can’t setup automatic backups because Google likes the idea that they don’t ever lose data. The part they are forgetting is that while they may not lose it, people have the potential of accidentally deleting it! Anyways, here is the article on LifeHacker about it: 5 Handy Google Command Line Tricks.

I have also been meaning to post about the Google set-top box. If I had to guess, when they announce it officially this fall, it will be running some form of ChromeOS. I am of course not 100% sure, but it is the only thing that makes sense. It also won’t have to deal with the “file system” issue that the computers running ChromeOS will have to handle for things like attachments to emails. Regardless, I just rewatched the video on and they have definitely updated it since I last saw the video! Anyway, it looks like it is going to be a serious contender to Apple TV, other standard DVR boxes, and pretty much everyone else in the field, simply because it is going to meld the web with DVR and satellite content.

That was it for things on other websites that I wanted to post about. I’ll focus on something much more theoretical next.

… looks like this ended up being my Google post …

[Image from]

Linksys WMP54G 64-bit drivers

September 6th, 2010 No comments

Let me describe my apartment’s setup a little bit first. My desktop computer is in my bedroom, which will require about a 50+ foot ethernet cable to reach the router. My solution to this? Try out my room mates PCI Linksys wireless card (the WMP54G). Unfortunately, Linksys (technically Cisco) has not bothered to make 64-bit drivers for these wireless cards. This resulted in a HUGE headache for about 3 hours, till I finally found a solution. Here’s what I did from start to finish, but if you want the quick solution, skip to the end:

  1. Tried to install the 32-bit drivers from Linksys’ website, only to have them get stuck when you try to search for wireless networks with it.
  2. Started Googling for a better solution, and ended up on this page (I don’t know if that link will always work, so it’s just a forum post about how to get the wireless card working on a 64-bit machine).
  3. Found out through that tutorial that the chip set in the wireless card is made by Ralink Corp. So I ended up on their site here and downloaded the latest copy of the RT2500 chipset drivers.
  4. After trying to hacking these to work appropriately (according to the forum posts that I had found), I managed to get it to install the drivers appropriately (albeit hacked), but it the wireless utility didn’t work. In fact, I couldn’t get ANY wireless utility to work, and I tried quite a few!
  5. Finally, I did some more Googling for answers, and this is about 2.5 hours in, and found this forum post that had a link to
  6. Within Justin Ho’s blog, here is the appropriate post (as of now) to the article with the working drivers!!! To install them was quick and easy. I simply found the wireless card in the device manager, selected properties, selected upgrade drivers, found the .inf file from the download on Justin’s site, and it installed in one shot. Then just power-cycled my computer and was up and running!

Thank you so much Justin!!! You are the sole reason that I now have wireless in my desktop, granted it took 3 hours to find your blog… you would think that Justin’s site would pop up sooner on Google searches since he is an employee there.